Whitehaven Architecture

In Whitehaven there are over 170 listed buildings, many of which tell a story of Whitehaven's past. A number of years ago, Whitehaven was declared a 'gem town' by The Council for British Archaeology. This award has only been given to 51 towns in Britain.

Here is a synopsis regarding a selection of listed buildings in Whitehaven:

19-20 Irish Street
This building is considered to be of national importance. It is a rare example of early 19th century architecture. The building, like many in Whitehaven, is Italian in style. It was designed by Sidney Smirke, the brother of Sir Robert Smirke. Sidney was also responsible for the design of the surface buildings at Wellington Pit, the Candlestick Chimney and the reading room in the British museum.

St. Nicholas Church
St. Nicholas Church was consecrated in 1883, having replaced an earlier chapel on the same site. Following a fire in August 1971, all that remains of this church is its magnificent tower. The gardens of the church were once covered in headstones, until the creation of a graveyard on Low Road, in 1855. Mildred Gale, the grandmother of George Washington, the first President of the United States of America, was buried here, along with her baby daughter and a Negro servant. The exact location of the grave is unfortunately unknown. In the gardens of St. Nicholas Church are memorials to the miners who lost their lives down the Whitehaven mines. The four entrances to the gardens are adorned with fine wrought iron gates which were taken from the tomb of Sir James Lowther following the demolition of Holy Trinity Church.

St. James Church
This church is said to have the finest Georgian interior in the county. The building was constructed in 1752 and consecrated by the Bishop of Carlisle in July 1753. The church was designed by Whitehaven's most famous engineer, Carlisle Spedding. The clock was the work of a local blacksmith. The fine plasterwork on the ceiling is the work of two Italians, Arture and Baggiotti. The Altar piece is "The Transfiguration of Christ" by Guillio Cesare Procaccini (1548-1626), it was formerly housed in the Escurial, Madrid. It found its way to France, then, after the revolution it was brought to England. It was presented to the church by William, third Earl of Lonsdale. In 1909 the organ was added to the church. St. James became the parish church for Whitehaven in 1977 following the fire at St. Nicholas Church.

Whitehaven Castle
The castle in Whitehaven is built on the site of an earlier mansion which was known as the Flatt. Sir John Lowther bought the Flatt on October 1st 1675. In 1769, following a fire, Sir James Lowther had the Flatt rebuilt in its present form and changed its designation to Whitehaven Castle. The castle remained in the hands of the Lowther family until 1920, when following an auction, it passed into the hands of the local health service. In 1926 the castle became the Whitehaven and West Cumberland Infirmary which continued to operate until 1964 when a new hospital was built at Hensingham. The castle remained in use as a geriatric unit, until closure in the mid 1980's. The castle is now currently under private ownership.

The Market Place
The right to hold a market in Whitehaven was granted in 1654 and confirmed in 1660. The majority of the buildings in the market place have been there since the mid 17th century. Situated in the market place is the market hall. The present building is on the site of an earlier hall which had been designed by Sir Robert Smirke (Sir Robert Smirke is perhaps best known as the architect of the British Museum in London). When the hall opened in 1819 it was known as the Butter Market, here dairy produce and poultry was brought to be sold. The present building in the market place was designed by T. Linneas Banks and was opened in June, 1881. The ground floor was used as a market, while the upper floors have been used for a variety of purposes including a dance hall, cinema and museum. The market hall is now home to Whitehaven's tourist information centre.

Moresby Hall
Moresby Hall is the oldest residence in West Cumbria. It is a Grade I listed building due to its historical and architectural importance. The building retains many of its original features. The oldest part of the house has an original Pele tower. This once had unrestricted views of the coast, allowing protection from invaders using the shore. During the 18th century the Hall fell into disrepair, it was used as a farmhouse for some time, then in 1910 it was restored and re-emerged as a small manor house in 1955.

25 Roper Street
This house was home to Daniel Brocklebank, a famous shipbuilder during the 18th century. The famous shipping line T. and J. Brocklebank, which Daniel's sons owned, evolved into Cunard, and as such, is the oldest shipping company in the country.

30 Roper Street
This building was constructed in 1743 by James Spedding, the son of Whitehaven's famous mining engineer Carlisle Spedding. The building was intended to be used as both a dwelling and offices. The entrance on Roper Street has a doorway which is decorated by an acorn finial, this is a reference to the Spedding coat of arms.

5 Cross Street
This house on Cross Street was built in 1701, it was home to the famous artist Mathias Read who lived in Whitehaven until his death in 1747. Mathias came to the town as a young artist. He painted several pieces and his work was in considerable demand. He did altar pieces for St. Nicholas Church and Holy Trinity Church, he painted several views of Whitehaven, the most famous of his works, 'A birds eye view of Whitehaven', was painted in 1738.

151 Queen Street
This house, built in 1733, was the home to the merchant William Gale. William was the younger brother of George Gale whose first wife, Mildred, was the grandmother of George Washington - the first president of the United States of America. this house is one of the earliest of Whitehaven's large houses to have survived to present day.

NOTE
Georgian architecture was developed in England out of the Classical Revival which dominated Europe during the Renaissance and Enlightenment. The Georgian style name comes from the kings of Great Britain who ruled England while Georgian architecture was popular. From 1714 until 1820 England was ruled by George I, George II and George III.

Whitehaven Marketplace
Whitehaven Marketplace

Whitehaven contains over 170 buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. Of these, one is listed at Grade I, the highest of the three grades, six are at Grade II*, the middle grade, and the others are at Grade II, the lowest grade.

Whitehaven is a natural port, and the harbour developed in the 17th century mainly for the export of coal from the local mines. During the 18th century the harbour expanded and the town was laid out in a grid plan, often with a building such as a church at the end to provide a vista. During the 20th century the amount of work done by the port declined, and the export of coal finally ended in the 1980s. During this time a number of the town's houses and other buildings were demolished.

Nevertheless, most of the listed buildings are houses and shops of various sizes, many of them in Georgian style. Listed buildings remaining from the industrial past include structures in and around the harbour, warehouses, a former flax mill, and colliery buildings now used as a museum. Other listed buildings include churches, civic buildings, hotels and public houses, banks. air shaft caps providing ventilation for a railway tunnel, and a market hall.

LISTED BUILDINGS:

II 1, Hamilton Lane

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1,2, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1,2, Inkerman Terrace

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1,2, KING STREET (See details for further address information)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1-10, Oak Bank

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1-16, Church Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1-3, Retreat

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1-3, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1-3, Victoria Terrace

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1-4, Front Corkickle

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1-6, Hamilton Terrace

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 10, College Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 10, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 11, CROSS STREET (See details for further address information)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 11, Howgill Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 11-16, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 112, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 113, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 12, Cross Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 12, Front Corkickle

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 12, Howgill Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 13,14, Inkerman Terrace

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 132, Queen Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II* 14, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 14,15, Howgill Street Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 140, Queen Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 15,16, Catherine Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 15,16, Inkerman Terrace

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 15-19, Front Corkickle

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 150, Queen Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 152-155, Queen Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 16,17, Queen Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 17, Irish Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 17,18, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 17,18, Howgill Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 17,18, Inkerman Terrace

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 18, Irish Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 19,20, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 19,20,20a, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 1a,1,2,3,4,4a, Cross Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 21,22, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 22,23, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 22-24, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 23,24, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 25, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 25, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 26, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 28, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 29, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 3, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 30, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 30-34, CHURCH STREET (See details for further address information)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 31a,31b, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 32-35, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 35, Queen Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 35, Tangier Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 36-38, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 37, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 37-41, Rudds Court, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 38, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 38-48, Main Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 39-42, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 4,5, Duke Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 4,5, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 4,5, Irish Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 4-8, Garden Villas

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 4-8, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 41-43, Irish Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 43, Queen Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 43,44, Duke Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II* 44,45, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 44-47, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 46,47,48,49,49a, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 46-50, Duke Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 49, Church Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 5,6, Front Corkickle

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 50, Church Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 51, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 51-53, Church Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 52, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 53, Duke Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 54,55, Duke Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 54-57, CHURCH STREET (See details for further address information)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 55, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 57,58, Roper Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 6,7, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 7, Front Corkickle

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 7, Irish Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 7, West View

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 7-17, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 7-19, Lonsdale Place

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 70, George Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 71,72, George Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 73, George Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 75-77, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 78,79, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 8, Front Corkickle

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 8,9, Foxhouses Road

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 80, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 81-83, Lowther Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 81-87, Main Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 83,84,85,86a,86b,86c,87, George Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 84-95, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 88, Main Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 89,90,92,93,94,95, Main Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 9,10, Scotch Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 9-11, Front Corkickle

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 96,97, Duke Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 96-99, Main Street

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II 9a, Coates Lane

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Air Shaft Cap to Former Railway Tunnel

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Air Shaft Cap to Former Railway Tunnel at Ngr

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Air Shaft Cap to Former Railway Tunnel at Ngr

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Air Shaft Cap to Former Railway Tunnel at Ngr

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Air Shaft Cap to Former Railway Tunnel at Ngr

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Area Railings, Wall and Railings to Front, and Small Iron Gate at No8

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Barclays Bank

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Bonded Warehouse

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II* Catherine Mill

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Central Hotel

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Chapel House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Church of St Begh

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

I Church of St James the Greater Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Clydesdale Bank

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Co-Operative Store Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Coach House Adjoining No 37

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II College Chambers

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Columba Club

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Dobson and Musgrave Warehouse

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Engine Houses, Power Station and Pithead Gear at Haig Colliery

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Garden Wall and Urns in Front (West) of Nos 1 to 10 (Consecutive) (Oak Bank Terrace)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Gate Piers at Church of Saint James

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Globe Hotel

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Golden Lion Hotel

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Greenbank Hotel

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Jonathan Swift House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Marine Terrace

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Market Hall Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Masonic Hall

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Meadow House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Methodist Church and Sunday School

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II No 1 with Warehouse Attached to Rear

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II No 10 (With Iron Railings to Front Door)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II* No 151 (Including Area Railings)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II No 54 with Properties to the Rear (Formerly Rudd's Court)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II No 56, with Outbuildings and Warehouse to Rear

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II No. 10, ROPER STREET

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II No. 13, WEST STRAND

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II No. 133, QUEEN STREET

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II North Wall and Old North Wall (Enclosing North Harbour)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Nos 1-11 (All with Iron Railings to Front Steps) Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Nos 19 and 20 (With Coach House Entrance and Area Railings)

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Old Custom House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Old Fort

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Old New Quay Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Old Quay

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Old Quay Lighthouse Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Pack Horse Public House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Premises Occupied by Ymca

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Savings Bank

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II* Somerset House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Strand House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II The Kirk Mission Hall, Gatepiers and Attached Boundary Wall

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II The St Nicholas Centre Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II The Watch House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Town Hall

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Union Hall

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Wall Behind West Cumberland College of Science and Technology

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Waverley Hotel

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Wellington House

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II West Pier Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II West Pier Lighthouse Photos

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Whitehaven cenotaph

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Whitehaven Hospital or Infirmary

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Whittles Furniture Store

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

II Wulstan Hall

Whitehaven, Copeland, Cumbria, CA28 

TRENDING ON HERETOFORE

Jackie Sewell



ABOUT WHITEHAVEN
Whitehaven had been small harbour and fishing village from 13th century or earlier. Expansion began in mid-17th century with building of piers by Lowthers 1632-4 and 1679-81 and granting of market charter 1660. By the 1680s it had grown rapidly, expanding from village of c.30 households in early 17th century to a town of over 1,000 inhabitants by 1685, which more than doubled to 2,281 by 1696. Sir John Lowther had laid out grid of streets by 1680s, making Whitehaven the earliest planned new town in post-medieval Britain.

Total Views: